Knowledge of Vocabulary/Key Terms
Determine the appropriate meanings of words, phrases, or statements from figurative or technical contexts.
Summary and Constructed-Response Templates
- Define the following term _______________.
- Define what is meant by . . .
- Define ___________ from the context clues.
- Provide an example and non-example of _______.
- What does the word __________ mean?
- As it is used, the word _________ means . . .
- The quote means . . .
- The author defines ________ as being . . .
- _________ literally means . . .
- When someone says _________ he/she means . . .
- The author’s use of the word __________is meant to convey the . . .
- Which of the following best explains _____ in the quote _________?
Hand Signals for Focusing on the Skills & Strategies
Point three fingers up like a W (word) and then three fingers down like an M (meaning).