Identify problem-solution relationships.
Summary and Constructed-Response Templates
1. The point of view of the author was . . .
2. How does the author use ______ technique?
3. How does the author get her/his point across?
4. How do you think the author feels about . . . ?
5. What did the author mean when he/she said ___?
6. In this passage, the author was likely attempting to . . .
7. Which of the following best describes the author’s attitude toward__________?
8. The overall message in the passage is that . . .
9. A clear intent of the author in writing this passage is to describe . . .
10. The narrator’s point of view is that . . .
11. The author’s attitude toward _____ is that . . .
12. Which statement by the author best supports the argument that ____________?
13. How does the author prove her point about . . .?
Hand Signals for Focusing on the Skills & Strategies
Scrunch both hands in front of your waist and tighten your face (problem) and then raise you hands in the air to celebrate (solution).