Identify implied, subtle, or complex cause-effect relationships.
Summary and Constructed-Response Templates
- List the causes of . . .
- What were the effects of . . . ?
- How does ____________ affect _____________?
- What led up to . . . ?
- The largest effect caused by _______ is . . .
- Which of the following was NOT an effect of . . .
- What resulted from . . .
- _______decision resulted in what consequence?
- Because _______ happened, it can be reasonably inferred that . . .
- __________ happened as a result of . . .
- The author claims that when _______ happens, it causes . . .
- According to the passage, _______ was ______ because . . .
- ________ is determined by . . .
- The passages indicates that _______ depends on . . .
- Why did ____________become/did . . .
- The author said that _____ pleased her because . . .
- Based on the details, _____happens because . . .
- Based on the details you can conclude that . . .
- The main character decides not to ____ because . . .
- A person would not _________ because . . .
Hand Signals for Focusing on the Skills & Strategies
Slap you left palm (cause) with your right hand and then bounce the right hand off away from the left hand (effect) in an arc.